Friday, October 2, 2015

Where I'm From

I am from the endless supply of horse tack 
lying around the dusty barn.
       from the blue ribbons
covering the walls.
       from the smell of leather cleaner
in the morning.
I am from the house in the country-
both of them.


I am  from the trees.
        from tireless hours spent
setting up a tent.
        from the lake with the slimy bottom
that always smelled like fish and pine needles.
I am from summers spent on the trails.


I am from the clothing dryer I tried to hid in
when my parents were fighting.
       from the words yelled
and objects thrown.
       from the gravel thrown up in the driveway
when my dad sped away.
I am from the decisions of surface level love.
I am from the five day drive
to the promised land.
       from the stays in cheap hotels
for one night.
       from roadside bathroom breaks
and gas station pizza.
I am from the journey to Kentucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment